Saturday, February 12, 2011

New Year, New Mom

OK so as I sit back and look at the last two post about budget and home school I realize that both of those require ALOT of  self-discipline.  I now sit back and thought about this topic and how much I have.  It was brought to my attention today that I don't have as much as I thought I did.  I have quite a few people in my life who feel free to tell me how it is, no holds bar! I sometimes feel lucky for this because it knocks reality into me. Other times it can really hurt, not sure yet if its hearing the truth that hurts or the way its said. . . prob a little of both. 
Now I am thinking about how did I end up this way and how I can change it!! Thinking back to my childhood is where I think this started, I never even had to clean my room, I knew how to weasel my dad into doing it for me (kids don't get any ideas!) And I don't think that my parents were the best self-discipline people looking at it now, but then again who is?
So, I am posting this blog to help keep me on track and in hopes that stating this in print for everyone and God to read that it will keep me on track.  I am taking a serious look at who I am, where I am from and who I want to be.
I found a list of things to do to start to be more disciplined and I am listing it here for myself and for anyone else who is wanting to start this journey with me. 

  1.  
    Writing things down is the first step.
    Writing things down is the first step.
    Write down the many things in life that you would like to fix or change. This is the first step in identifying what you need to work on.
  2.  
    Talk to others for their ideas and opinions.
    Talk to others for their ideas and opinions.
    Ask others for their opinion on what they see you might be able to do better at or more of. Others often notice things we do not think about.
  3.  
    Seriously consider your motivations.
    Seriously consider your motivations.
    Question the motivations behind why you are suddenly thinking more about your need to be more self-disciplined. If your reasoning behind this is not strong enough, you may find that you take the steps to be more self-disciplined today and forget about it tomorrow.
  4.  
    Create new habits for yourself by daily repeating specific actions at specific times.
  5.  
    Write a to do list for your day when you first wake up and immediately thereafter, take the first action you have listed.
  6.  
    Review your to do list prior to retiring for the evening. Have you accomplished everything on your list? If not, make a new list for what is left to review upon awakening.
  7. Exercise your body and mind a little bit differently every day. If you slowly and deliberately start to make changes in your life, you will suddenly find you are reaping the benefits from your increase in daily self-discipline.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. Im down. THere are about a million things that I want to be more disciplined about but thats the great thing about life... you just get to keep trying!!!

    ReplyDelete