Saturday, February 5, 2011

Got my mind on my money and money on my mind.

So for my second blog I have decided to dedicate it to what has been on my mind the most. MONEY! or the lack of.   I have been seeing this cheapest family in america on TV the past few weeks and thought I would give it a shot to see if I can bring us out of debt and more money into savings.
Mine and my husbands jobs are feast or famine and I would like to build up our savings so in times of famine we wont have to worry. Not to meantion everytime we go to the grocery store the bill climbs higher and higher (the cost of having 3 teenage boys and growing kids).
I want to be able to take vacations when we want or to purcase a new car when needed, or fix the ones that we have (god knows thats a fortune!!).
So I am sitting down and making a record of all the debt we owe, and then a list of monthly bills.  I am then going to see if there is possibly anywhere we can cut back on the monthly bills part.  Like taking the movie channels off satilite, or cutting minutes back on our cell phones.  We have recently disconnected our house phone and went to strictly using our cell phones, but I dont think that is going to work out considering we live in a black hole that doesnt allow cell phone reception in. So I will just get the bare minimum basic phone. And like I mentioned cutting back on grocerys also will help greatly.
I have always cut coupons out of the sunday paper and have saved some money here and there doing that, but have never kept up with it. I will now keep better track of that and check out any websites offering coupons and check out my local sales paper. I am also going to try to grocery shop once a month instead of weekly, and stick to a strict list.  My husband deer hunts and we have a freezer FULL of deer meat so we will be eating alot of that. So if anyone has any good recipes for venison, pass it over! haha
I think I will also check out the book from the cheapest family to see if there is anything else I havent thought of.
Keep your fingers crossed that this works, and I will keep everyone posted.

2 comments:

  1. I think any recipe that uses beef u can use deer for. IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be done, Aaron and I just had our budget meeting last night. I've done a good job of making lots of financial mess but I've also done a good job of cleaning a lot of it up. I firmly believe he has to be on the same page as me if we're ever going to be successful with our finances. The thing about debt is it happens to fast but it's not as hard to get out of as you'd think, it's kind like a game. When I was pregnant with Reese we had paid off all our debt but a few thousand and our house, which we had just bought. It was a great feeling but then Aaron got a new job and made a lot more money and I got greedy. Needless to say it's back to square on but I plan on doing it again. FYI Dave Ramsey has lots of great info on budgeting too.

    ReplyDelete