Sunday, March 6, 2011

Month of Meals

In an attempt to make life simpler and hopefully cheaper, I have decided to go grocery shopping once a month instead of my usual once a week.  I got this idea from the Economides (aka the cheapest family in America) they have a family of 7 (same as me) and they grocery shop once a month and spend $350.00.  I would like to say I was equally successful, but not so much.  I set a goal for myself of $400-$450 and ended up spending $500.  I did have about $20 in coupons which the cashier was really impressed with!
I did my best to guesstimate how much of everything we would use in a months time. I hope that I did a good job at that.  I have planed out 22-24 meals, leaving room for leftover nights.  I do think that for my first time and quesstimateing going $50 over budget wasnt bad.  I also took a couple of kids with me and Im glad I did because I had two baskets overflowing! And after they sacked them up I ended up walking out with three!  So I pretty much spent $125 a week, which is WAY better than $200-$250 I had been doing, that was also buying extras and not sticking to a strict list.  Me and my daughter are also starting a diet so we bought alot of "diet" food and fruits and veggies. 
For anyone intested I will post the website for the Economides and feel free to ask any questions.  I will post in a few days on how the diet goes too.


www.americascheapestfamily.com

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome!!! I wish I could say I did that good, however I sucked it up today and spent 75 for a week (probably) maybe two. I need to do a big cabinent clean too though so we will see. If I can stretch it to two weeks I will be pretty satisfied! LOL also we got a thing of 62 washes of detergent from arm&hammer for 2.99 which I am pretty stoked about!!! OMG...tomatoes today were ridiclous @ 2.48 a PIECE! WTF?!

    ReplyDelete